Monday, January 23, 2012

Where To Buy Bright Eyeshadow

As you may know, I love working with bright eyeshadows. A lot of people ask me questions relevant to where I buy my eyeshadow, why some colors don't come out as bright as they seem on the palette, what brands I recommend, etc. I am going to answer all of those questions in this post. If I missed something, feel free to email me any questions or concerns.









Q: What brands do you personally recommend?


A: The best brands of bright colored eyeshadow in my opinion based on personal experience are MAC, Medusa, Sugar Pill, and Urban Decay. They blend well and last longer than drug store makeup. You can buy some of these in your local MAC store, Macy's or Sephora. However, I have only been able to find Medusa and Sugar Pill online.



Q: I am on a tight budget and can't afford the brands that you suggested. Is there any cheap way that I can achieve the look I'm trying to create?


A: Well, yes but no. Normally you get what you pay for. The L'Oreal HIP eyeshadows are slightly cheaper than MAC by a dollar or two, they do come out bright and colorful but they don't blend nearly as well. I really like their eye powder pigments but those can be a bit pricey. Recently I discovered Wet 'n Wild color icon eyeshadow trio palettes that come with a shade for your eyelid, eye crease and brow bone. I highly recommend these and personally find these to be $3 well spent. I have Spoiled Brat and I Dream Of Greenie but they do have less bright trio palettes as well. You can find these at your local Rite Aid and probably other drug stores. Everything else I have tried mostly comes out much lighter on the skin than shown on the palette.














Q: Every time I wear eyeshadow I always find myself reapplying it because it all gathers in the crease of my eye and leaves an ugly awkward line, what do I do??


A: Invest in eye primer, it is essential for longlasting and good looking eye makeup. I highly recommend MAC's primer for eyelids as it has never failed me and I wouldn't be caught dead without it ;)


Q: So I acquired my bright colors, but I'm still not feeling it. Am I doing something wrong?



A: Are you missing something? Perhaps some mascara, eyeliner, and most importantly a shimmery light color for your brow bone? You can't just slab some bright colors on your eyes and expect it to look great, you have to have certain elements to help your eyes pop. A little mascara can do a lot for your look, and I always wear black liquid eyeliner with my bright colors (usually just a thin line) and remember, liquid is for the top lid only! You don't have to use a pencil on the bottom as some people feel that it makes their eyes look smaller, but for certain looks I like to use both, especially a bright colored pencil on the bottom. Also, you should always use a white eyeshadow or pearly neutral tone on your browbone as it helps bring attention to your eyes and makes your look a lot less dull and cheap. Also, remember to BLEND! Blending is essential regardless of any color your wear but if you don't blend your bright colors well you will end up looking like a clown.






Using nothing but a bright color eyeshadow on your eyes can be detrimental to your look



Q: Now that I have mastered the basics of applying bright eye makeup, I would like to experiment with liquid eyeliner techniques like winged/cat eye liner, animal prints and other shapes/patterns. Got any advice for me?


A: Liquid eyeliner takes a great deal of practice and you should definitely experiment with different looks as soon as you get the hang of it. It is very difficult to make it perfectly even so keep practicing and don't give up! I would highly recommend looking up some tutorials on youtube to help learn how to master the look you are trying to achieve.


Q: Is there anything else I should know that could help me in the long run?


A: One thing that a lot of talented makeup artists like to do is put scotch tape on the side of their eyes to help make their eyeshadow look more even and less messy when blending. Also, if I were you I wouldn't even think about investing in bright colors until you acquire eye primer, liquid eyeliner, mascara and a shimmery white or natural color eye shadow for your brow bone... but this is all just one person's opinion, right?





This is an original article written by Katie @ Brite Eyez, all rebloggers must credit the source by linking back to this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment